Thursday, August 2, 2012

I NEED A DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAM? WHAT?


A couple of weeks ago, I had my annual mammogram. They had become routine for me – nothing special, just the regular smashing of my girls between two plastic plates. Normally, I receive a letter after the exam stating that everything was normal, and I schedule the exam for next year.

But this time, I received a letter stating that I needed to have a diagnostic (follow-up) mammogram.
This is not the kind of news anyone wants to receive, especially not a breast cancer survivor.
The days leading up to the diagnostic felt like weeks.

I finally had the follow-up mammogram (6 years to the month of when I had chemotherapy in 2006). While I waited for the results, I thought about my life now versus what my life was like when I went through the process years ago. I wasn’t married then, was a newly minted lawyer, and had only been in Atlanta for a year. Before I continued my walk down memory lane, the nurse returned and told me that the results were NORMAL!


"your exam shows nothing to indicate breast cancer"
 I sat there for a moment staring at the normal exam report that had become so routine for me in the last few years and appreciated how much of a blessing it is. It was also during that moment that I decided to share my 2006 journey with you - beginning with chemo, to losing my hair, and having surgery. So stay tuned for upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment